Monday, June 10, 2013

Simple Series- Tomato Sauce

I hardly ever make the same recipe twice. I am always looking for something new, exciting, or challenging. Sometimes though, I wish that I had some simple, fresh recipes in my back pocket. That's what this series is about- getting back to the easy basics. This personal collection of recipes will be ones that can be made without exact measurements and can be added to and subtracted from with ease. Here is my first effort- Hope you enjoy! 

Easiest Tomato Sauce 
This recipe is perfect and simple. Feel free to add more or less of these ingredients, this recipe is so flexible!! 

Ingredients 
Olive oil 
28 oz San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1/2 onion, chopped (I chose white because its what I had on hand) 
1/2 to 2/3 cup of broth or wine (whatever kind you have on hand- I really think you will be fine no matter what!)
Sea salt
Pepper 
Herbs, if desired

Directions 
1. Heat one tbsp. oil on medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion, and allow to soften and caramelize- approximately 4 minutes. I added a little more oil in the middle of this process because the onions started to look a little dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. 


2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant- about one minute. 

3. Deglaze pan with broth or wine, and cook liquid down for a couple of minutes. 

4. Add can of tomatoes and juice. With a spatula crush the tomatoes in the pan, into smaller pieces. Bring heat down to low-medium, and simmer for a few minutes. 
(This pic looks gross- but it smelled so good at this point!!) 


5. At this step you could add chopped fresh herbs like oregano or basil, or even browned Italian sausage or beef. 

Isn't this the easiest recipe? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

(The easiest tomato sauce with Italian sausage on angel hair pasta. It was sooo good, so simple, and done in the time it took for the pasta to cook!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment