Saturday, June 8, 2013

Review: HG Sply Co.

Lowest Greenville's newest addition to its burgeoning restaurant scene hits all the trendy high points- paleo based menu, repurposed wood for tables, subway tiles around the bar, jar candle holders, local produce and beer, etc. the list goes on. The crowd last night was a mix- groups of dudes (who i guess came to get their protein on) and couples in their late twenties to mid thirties. It's a cool place to go that's not in uptown and without the uptown crowd. 

The menu is simple- appetizers that range from pork belly to tacos, a few salad options, sandwiches and burgers, a build your own bowl section (for a reasonable $13), and then about 7 entree options including lamb shank, steak, chicken, fish, and then lots of side options. 

We started with the Founders Trio Appetizer, named after the three business partners who own the restaurant. It consisted of three tacos- one pork, one chicken, one brisket. Soooooo good- especially the brisket one- I could have eaten about 6 of those! 

    (my half-eaten brisket taco- I was too   
       hungry to wait to take the picture)

I was really torn between the lamb shank and the HG BLT, but I ended up landing on the BLT because it sounded so interesting- arugula, fried egg, pork belly (hello!!!) and tomatoes. The bread was interesting- some type of multi grain that was very toasted and kind of got in the way of me eating my meat infested sandwich. Beyond the bread- it was really really good!  (Ps it's kind of messy- don't order this on a first through fifth date.)

   (HG BLT-pork belly, tomato, arugula,       
             and fried egg sandwich) 

The husband ordered a chicken sandwich- topped with avocado and sandwiched with the weird bread. It was ok- it felt like a usual chicken sandwich to me but T thought it was a little above that. Both sandwich came with shoestring French fries (also trendy), which were so tiny and crispy I felt like I was eating the tiny chip crumbs at the end of a bag when you know you should throw it away but you are going after every carby crumb. 

We were so full (the sandwiches were pretty big- especially mine) we couldn't bring ourselves to order dessert. So sad. 

Overall it gets a 8 out of ten- the atmosphere was cool, the food really good (but not fall out of your seat amazing) and there is a really fun, laid back rooftop.  I'm excited that we have another solid option on lower greenville! I love my 'hood.....

No comments:

Post a Comment