Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DFW Restaurant Week: Hibiscus

Two years ago when my husband and I visited Dallas for a preview weekend for his job, we went to Hibiscus. I was super impressed then, much to do with the fact that the evening ended with a perfect apple pie with lavender ice cream. I still think about that dessert. A lot.

My recent visit was with my friend RB, and we both enjoyed the great prix fixed menu for DFW Restaurant Week, which benefits the North Texas Food Bank. I was really surprised by the portions and the quality of the food. I have been to several restaurants for DC's restaurant week, and I always felt a little slighted. Hibiscus did it right- great portions and good food.

The prix fixed menu at Hibiscus required you to share the appetizer, a side, and dessert. Not sure what would happen if you happened to be eating by yourself- maybe people who eat by themselves don't usually go to casual fine dining restaurants?? 


We started with the crab dip. It was pretty good- maybe a little too much of a mayo taste, but had good size pieces of crab in it. The portion was big for two people. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture because we were so hungry- we ate like savages and poof- it was gone. 

For the entree we both chose the filet and shrimp. The shrimp was very tasty, and while the steak was good, it's no III Forks (don't get me started but yes, III Forks beats Nick and Sams). 


For our side, we chose the mac and cheese. I'm 99 percent sure there are hatch chile peppers in their mac, and it was AMAZING! Is it just me, or do you also get into the hatch festivities this time of year? Oh- thats just me buying all things hatch right now?? Ok, well then.......


Back to the mac- get it people- you will not be disappointed!! 

For the finale- six layer chocolate cake yo. IT WAS SO GOOD. And HUGE. Could easily serve a table of four. My only gripe is that it was definitely right out of the fridge, I prefer my cake at room temperature. When I had the second half of this cake the next day after letting in sit out on the counter all night, it was even better. 


Hibiscus gets a 7- it's cool, and its food is pretty good. And I know I say a lot of places are "pretty good." Fifty percent of restaurants in Dallas are. When a restaurant is amazing or even really really good, Ill be sure to shout it from the roof tops to make sure you are aware. (Assuming you weren't already....)

No comments:

Post a Comment